Rise to Shine and run!
Guidelines for people with disabilities
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION FOR GUIDES OF VISUALLY IMPAIRED RUNNERS
- Race starts at 8:00 am.
- Starting line is at Hastings and South Wood (1310 South Wood Street).
- We encourage everyone to review the course, especially those using adaptive technology to allow for full participation.
- Guides do not need to pay, but must register. Contact Angela D'Antonio at DAntonio@chicagolighthouse.org for instructions on registering.
- Guide MUST check in at packet pickup to receive their guide bib number.
- Guide must finish behind the athlete.
- Guides may register to receive a shirt and finisher medal for $25.00.
- Guides may register as a 10K/5K runner for the registration fee and receive all swag, timing, and qualify for age awards.
- Guides will not be allowed to participate on race day without registering and signing the waiver.
- As the blind or visually impaired runner crosses the finish line, the guide must be behind the athlete.
- The method of guidance is the choice of the athlete. He or she may choose to use an elbow lead, a tether, or run free. Strapping or tying the hands of athlete and guide to one another is not permitted. The tether used must provide at least 5 cm (2 inches) length between the respective hands of guide and athlete. In addition, the runner may receive verbal instruction from the guide.
- Guides may not use a bicycle or other mechanical means of transport.
- The guide cannot pull the athlete or propel the athlete forward by pushing.